Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Forum week 8 - Gender in Music Technology (2)

This week was my turn to do my speech, and, just my luck i had to do it on 'Gender in Music Tech'. I had a bit of a 'tiff' the week before with the boys when i didn't agree with a lot of things that they had stated. This week i knew i had to, not only, properly explain what i meant, but also give a different perspective on gender in music tech, not just talk aout how there aren't many women in the industry. I started by explaining that i wasn't a feminist, and that i had actually gone onto the special 'women in music tech' support websites and read their completely bitchy forums on how bad men were. I told them, very similarly to Amy last week, that i wasn't trying to make the amount of women in the industry equal to that of the men, i just simply stated that i am in this course because i want to be, i hope i will do well at it, and that it wasn't any more difficult for me to get into this course as it was for any other male.
I then went on to talk about how i felt there was a big difference in the way that men and women expressed themselves in songs, particulary in their lyrics. To help me show my point, i toktwo extremely different singers, Eminem and Kylie Minogue, and particulary focused on both love and hate of the other ses. I believe that women are very expressive of their feelings, where as men, especially when they are angry, tend to just write down the first thing that comes to their mind, generally being a bit more agressive than women. Here are some of the examples i gave.
Eminem in an angry song :
" Maybe I'll love you one day, maybe we'll someday grow, till then just sit your drunk ass on that fuckin runway ho' "
and
" I'm not a jelous man, but females lie, but i guess that's just what sluts do, how could it ever be juse us two, I'd never love you enough to trust you, we just met and i just f***ed you"
and
" What's sad is what is attracting us to each other, they say every man grows up to marry his own mother, which would explain why you're such a motherf***ing bitch"
As compared some angry lyrics from Kylie with:
" You never send me flowers, you don't want to hold my hand, when i was sa or lonely, you used to understand"

overall i felt the speech wen quite well, starting a big discussion at the end.

No comments: