Sunday, May 13, 2007

AA1 - Week 9 - Bass Guitar Recording

Recording #1:
Fr this recording i used an AKG 414 and put compression on it. To ,e this sound was very 'bassy" with a very deep sound to it, and, although the melody was still clear, it seemed to almost ruin the dynamics a bit.

Bassrec1.mp3

Recording #2:
This time i used a Shure 56 Beta and fed the line straight through the Avalon. I found this sample to be a bit 'scratchy' and to me i think it would have done well with a bit of compression to it.

Bassrec2.mp3

Recording #3:
For this sample i used a Yamaha MZ 204. I liked this one a lot and i felt it was very clear and distinct. It also sounded a lot brighter than the other recordings.

Bassrec3.mp3

Recording #4:
This time i used a DI and had it going directly into Pro Tools. To me this one was my favourite, with good dynamics and a very clear tone.

Bassrec4.mp3

Recording #5:
This was my most difficult recording, as i used two different methods together. The first i used an AKG 414 (compressed) again and had it coming through the left speaker. For the right speaker i used the DI. I also found this to be very clear and distinct, but not as good as the DI by itself.

Bassrec5left.mp3

Bassrec5right.mp3

2 comments:

Darren S said...

The recordings are good, no overloading and clean, but the random noise of your website in the background is annoying and makes it hard to apply 'focused listening' to the takes. I agree, Take 4 sounds good but would have been good to hear the left and right tracks of Take 5 mixed to stereo. Highlight left and right tracks then bounce to disk as stereo interleaved ... cool sounds ...

Sanad said...

I agree with you that sample 2 needs a bit of compression. Unlike Darren, I found the 4th one pretty interesting the way it is, maybe a bit of more balancing or so..