Sunday, July 1, 2007

AA 1 Final Assessment

For my recording i did 'If You Dont Know Me By Now' By Simply Red. My performers were Nathan on bass guitar, Doug on piano, Amy on Vocals and Sanad on drums. The aim was to try and make a similar sound to that of the original, recorded in the 80's, but also try and use as little effects as possible.
The recording sessions went quite well, although the piano was played slightly too slow and the voice was recorded along to the piano, so that when the drums were recorded they ended up being slightly too fast throughout the song. My other little problem was that Amy was drowning in the flu when i recorded her, and i couldn't wait any longer or i would have run out of time, so i had to use quite a lot of reverb on the main melody plus the fills to try and covr this (even though you all already know because i just told you!)
When it came to mixing i used compression on the drums and the voice,to try and stop any clicking. I also used reverb on both of these, to cover the cold in Amy's voice, and also the give the 80's effect on the snare that was present in the original recording.
I know this recording was quite rough, as i don't know enough about recording and the programmes yet to use them to my full advantage, but i believe that this is only the beginning and that it can only (hopefully!) get beter from here :D.
( I am unable to post the music up right now because my USB died, so i have to fish them off of Christian, but i will get everything up her ASAP )

No comments: